We invite you to submit your project to the 2nd annual Passive Projects Competition. Back by popular demand, this juried competition recognizes fully-certified passive building projects of all types and climate zones. Here is your chance to showcase your work and celebrate the great strides being made in the field of passive building.
Here’s How It Works
Winning and honorable mention awards will be given in four categories:
- Single Family
- Commercial / Institutional
Additionally, two projects from the above winners will be awarded:
- Best Overall Project of this year’s competition
- Best Project by a Young Professional (35 or under)
The winning and finalist entries will be unveiled during the opening of the exhibit hall and accompanying reception from 5:30-7:30pm on Thursday, September 22, 2016 in the Exhibit Hall of the DoubleTree City Center Philadelphia. Awarded entries will remain on display throughout the core conference from September 23-24, 2016.
- Submitters of winning entries will receive one full year of PHAUS membership (existing members will be extended by one year)
- Winning projects will be featured in followup coverage of the conference by Green Building & Design magazine
- PHIUS and PHAUS will feature winning entries as case studies on their home pages
- PHIUS and PHAUS will publicize winners via social media, e-newsletters, and press outlets
- PHAUS members: $95
- Non-members: $145
*Entry fee covers poster printing and mounting of award winners and runners up in all categories.
* The PHI database includes a variety of entries – only those marked as certified are eligible.
Entries will be scored on a scale of 1 – 5 based upon the following criteria:
- Performance (for example, meets PHIUS+ standard, better than standard, crushes the standard)
- Difficulty level (climate/site/location/requirements challenges)
- Design (e.g., smart use of space)
- Health (e.g., use of non-toxic materials)
PHIUS/PHAUS has assembled a panel of five jurors, each of whom meets two of the following three criteria:
- CPHC®, PHIUS Certified Builder, PHIUS+ Rater or PHIUS+Verifier in good standing
- Completion of at least one certified project
- Licensed professional
This year’s jurors are:
- Timothy McDonald, RA, LEED AP, CPHC®, Certified Passive House Designer: President and CEO of Onion Flats LLC
- Mary Rogero, RA, LEED AP, CPHC®: Interim Chair of the Department of Architecture and Associate Professor at Miami University
- Tessa Smith, CPHC®, LEED AP, AIA: Principal and Lead Architect at The Artisans Group
- David Salamon, Certified Passive House Designer: Certified Passive House Designer at Re:Vision Architecture
- Katrin Klingenberg, CPHC®, M.Arch.: Executive Director at Passive House Institute US (PHIUS)
How to Enter
- Register and pay the entry fee using the links at the bottom of the page.
- Complete the online application form (we recommend that you review the form and assemble the required information prior to going in to complete the form).
- Attach a pdf suitable for printing and mounting a vertical orientation poster measuring 24″ wide x 36″ high and 300 dpi that includes:
- Project Title/Use-Type/Location/Client
- 250 word maximum text description of project
- WUFI Passive or PHPP results
*PHIUS employees and board members may not enter their own projects into the competition, however other project team members/firms are eligible to enter a project. Projects with a PHIUS board member as CPHC are eligible to apply.
Deadline for Entry
August 31, 2016 at 11:59pm PST
Winners will be announced on Thursday, September 22, 2016 during the opening of the exhibit hall and accompanying reception from 5:30-7:30pm in the Exhibit Hall of the DoubleTree City Center Philadelphia.
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software